Sunday, July 16, 2006

Is World War III starting?

North Korea is developing nuclear missiles and refuses to stop. Israel is (seemingly gleefully) attacking Gaza with abandon, and ignoring the United Nations. Iraq is a mess, Iran is a bigger threat, and there doesn't seem to be a world leader who can handle this.

Well, there used to be. Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton; even George Bush Sr., would be able to sit and talk diplomatically. Our president makes friends easily, but he's not a world leader in that sense.

Not that I can blame much of this on Bush, either. While it is possible that he started some of it by invading Iraq, it seems more likely that it's all coincidental.

I hate that my children have to experience this. I hate that I have to experience it. I hate that the "Greatest Generation," just like the generation that fought "The War To End All Wars" has to see another world conflict escalate out of control.

Am I scared? You bet. Do I have an idea of how to solve it? For once, no. I can only hope that the various countries involved will find ways of their own to de-escalate before it becomes a free for all.

And if it does? I shudder to think. Annhialiation? It can't be ruled out.

No comments: