Thursday, April 23, 2009

Books don't know everything

One of the suggestions for parents of a daughter on the occasion of her first menstrual period is to celebrate. Have a cake, heap on the praise, perhaps write a note of congratulations. So many daughters have been touched by such thoughtful gestures!
When our older daughter started, she was excited, prepared, a little freaked, but things went smoothly. She declined a celebration. But I was so impressed (although not surprised) by how ably she handled it, I wrote her a note of congratulations and pride, using thoughtful, affirming language, in part to communicate I recognize that she is growing into adulthood. I even pulled out my special note cards made from hand made paper, and beaded. I left it in her room for her to find.
Later in the evening, she looked at me in puzzlement. "Why did you leave me a card about my period?" she asked. "I already knew what to do."

No comments: