Sunday, May 03, 2009

Crafting as a non-crafter

I consider myself a non-crafter, because it doesn't come easily to me. Face it: others always make things look better than I can. Fortunately, as busy people do more crafting, there are more and more pre-made things to just put together and create a beautiful craft with little or no talent.

Set decorating is a lot like crafting, which is why I usually leave it to others to do, and concentrate on costumes and makeup in the backstage realm. So it was with an inner groan that I learned that my older daughter "gets" to decorate her box for the musical, "Once On This Island Jr." She is Agwe, god(dess) of Water. Each of the four gods has a cube they stand on that elevates them upstage behind the action, as they observe everything that happens. The cube is painted black, and they are supposed to decorate it with things that represent their character.

I had a couple of ideas, and the costumer gave us some leftover shells and plastic sea plant stuff that she had used on the Agwe costume. I thought and thought about it, devising my vision, only to find out that my daughter knew exactly what she wanted to do.

So armed with shells, seaweed and a glue gun, we are creating what will be an interesting, cohesive art piece on the front of her box. Because, unlike me, she has an ease of artistic vision and execution. Fortunately, I can use a glue gun, and can quickly buy into someone else's vision. (I'm also a great editor.) Luckily I have also learned efficiency in crafting, because I am helping her. And we'll have one hour to do it.

No comments: