Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sewing Costumes

This year we were going to go, as a family, as the Ghostbusters and a ghost or two to the annual costume party where prizes are given. It is very competitive, very subjective, and this year there is supposed to be a family costume theme prize.

Unfortunately everyone wants to be something different. So although we will still have a Ghostbuster, we will have instead Meta Knight and Princess Peach.

Which brings me to the sewing part. The Meta Knight is an original design based on a video game character, and no one sells a Princess Peach costume. So on Saturday we spent two hours at the fabric superstore finding patterns that can be adapted and fabric.

When I said, "Now we need to buy notions," there was an exclamation of surprise and dismay. I wasn't about to go back and buy all the thread and odds and ends needed, so we did the hard work of finding the trims that will make the costumes look like they should.

Of course I have already been back to the fabric store for additional things. And I discovered the greatest invention yet: fabric glue stick. I can't way to try it out, and see if I can save myself a couple of hours.

The kids are supposed to help me, too; we'll see how that plays out. I hope they do; I am sure they will be better than I am at some of the construction work.

We will see how it goes! And we will go to the party as an assortment of pop culture figures.

No comments: