Thursday, August 26, 2010

White Christmas

Sometimes it's the little things in life that give us the most satisfaction.

My 14-yr-old started  high school yesterday, my husband won a 10-day rally to the Arctic Circle, and my nephews both had great performances in their opening high school varsity football game.

But what is really making me happy is knowing that "White Christmas" will be released on Blu-Ray in November.

Shot in VistaVision, small screen has never really done the film justice. Laserdisk and DVD come pretty close -- I cried the first time I saw it on laserdisk, because it was the first time I saw it full ratio instead of pan and scan, and I realized there were extras dancing their hearts out I'd never seen before.

But blu-ray, high def and multi-channel sound (the original was released in mono...) will give us the experience the film makers probably dreamed of but never thought they'd quite capture.

So pop some popcorn, makes some hot cocoa, put out a platter of liverwurst sandwiches, and pull out those ski sweaters. I can't wait.

No comments: