Monday, February 27, 2006

David and Maddie: Why I Love Moonlighting (at least, the first three seasons)

Once in a blue moon, a television series comes along that gives me a thrilling satisfaction, that meets and exceeds not only my expectations, but my hopes and dreams. In fall of 1996, it was "Blue's Clues," arriving just in the nick of time to reassure me that my infant daughter would be watching the show I would have created.

But eleven years earlier, back when getting coffee still meant from a pot, it was "Moonlighting."

In an era when nighttime television was dominated by soap operas and buddy detective shows, comedy was consigned to family sitcoms and romance replaced by sex and dysfunction. That is, until the premiere of "Moonlighting."

So what do I love about Moonlighting? I love that, in the 1980s, a show was allowed to be intelligent, funny, irreverent, and original. That it gave us two characters who were so right for each other that the fans went berserk every time there was a hint of another romantic interest. (Let's face it -- it takes a lot to not like Mark Harmon!)

It is filled with literary and contemporary cultural references. It seemed like it was written by my contemporaries (it was). In its own wacky way, it was more real life in its realm of fantasy than the night time soaps. The office staff looked like real people. It's quick, witty, and always acknowledges the audience, whether by breaking the 4th wall, or David reminding Maddie they're on television. ("Get serious? Maddie, I just touched your rear end. If I get any more serious, they're gonna move us to cable!")

I love "Moonlighting" because I fell desperately in love with David Addison, but desperately wanted to see him with Maddie. I love it because I couldn't predict what David and Maddie would say. I love it because, for three years, I could sit down and watch Hawksian comedy. I love it because, from the first episode, Maddie was David's and David was Maddie's, and Cybill Shepherd and Bruce Willis played them that way. I love it because I thought it was a niche show written just for me, and I'm not the only one.

But mostly, I love "Moonlighting because, when I saw it, I slapped my forehead and cried, "Why didn't I think of this?"

1 comment:

eirwenes said...

Ann, I loved "Moonlighting" too, although I can't claim that I feel as linked to it as you do. You certainly communicate your enthusiasm here. What do you think of GGC's new hit "Medium"? We love it!!