Friday, March 17, 2006

March Madness

It's March, and time once again for the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament. And it's not March Madness without my two cents.

I don't have a winner picked this year, since my perennial favorite, Purdue, isn't in it. But it's good to see that, once again, we are reminded of just why single-elimination tournaments are so much fun to watch: anything can happen.

Already there have been "upsets;" that is, teams have been losing that weren't predicted to lose. Since those predictions are generally subjective, there is a certain satisfaction in seeing them proved wrong.

Basketball really is a game that can be won by a team that is not loaded with talent, but heart. And by a small school that doesn't have deep pockets for extracurricular sports.

1 comment:

eirwenes said...

What a great argument for the sport of college b-ball! I hear everything you say, but I just can't get excited about basketball these days. It's all baseball, all the time these days. I think I've become a real fan of that game!