Saturday, September 30, 2006

On Being a "Nutcracker" parent




This year my 10-year-old auditioned for and was cast in the Pacific Northwest Ballet's annual holiday event, "The Nutcracker." Only students at the ballet's school are eligible to audition, and not everyone is chosen.

So it was with great pride, excitement, and trepidation, that we launched ourselves into being a Nutcracker family, something hundreds of families have done over the years.

As a Nutcracker parent, I need to make sure my dancer is at rehearsals on time, as well as performances. Plus I need to make sure the shoes are purchased and labeled, snacks are packed, homework is finished in spite of rehearsals, and we all still enjoy Christmas.

The production depends heavily on parent volunteers, and acknowledges that -- parents who volunteer for performances need to apply makeup, help with costumes, and other things, in addition to the obvious kid minding. I guess I should be grateful that I don't have to worry about learning how to make girl's curls for the party scene, although I have a sneaking suspicion everyone is supposed to learn how to do hair curls to help out.

I feel a little odd about all of this. How I would have been thrilled and panicked if I had been cast in the professional production of anything when I was 10, and so I can't help be a bit envious. But not too much -- I'm not a dancer!

I thought just today that it is so exciting to see the start of something exciting for life, to be set to experience a whole new world as a temporary member of a professional company. And to dance each performance on a fine stage, in front of a paying audience, with a live orchestra -- what could be better?

I can tell you -- being the parent watching the child's stage thrills can be better.

No comments: