Thursday, October 23, 2008

Anyone Can Look as Good as Sarah Palin!

When I was single, slim, and had some discretionary income to buy some new wardrobe pieces, I went shopping in downtown Minneapolis, where I worked. After shopping at Dayton's, Donaldson's, and a string of chain specialty stores, I went on a whim to Nieman Marcus.

I found three suits to try on, two of them in pink. None of which I bought, because my Midwestern frugalness prevented me from justifying paying more for one suit than I spent in a whole year on clothing...

I remember that all three suits fit well, felt great, and screamed quality. The one that really stands out in my memory was a $2,500 suit I thought was ugly on the hangar, but was recommended by the sales person. When I put that suit on me, I looked spectacular, even though I hadn't liked it on the hangar. The sales person told me that the particular designer was known for knowing how to make a woman look good.

It was a lesson to me -- the cut of a garment makes all the difference. But the bigger lesson: Expensive clothing looks better.

It is no wonder that Sarah Palin is looking good these days. Expensive clothing makes all the difference, and can be addictive. I don't blame her a bit for wanting to wear them once she tries them on.

However, I do wag my finger at the RNC. They could have easily done their shopping at Macys' and saved a lot of money. And, perhaps then, when the election is over, Sarah Palin would have clothing she could purchase for her own wardrobe as she continues as governor. I doubt her clothing allowance, or salary, will allow her to purchase the expensive clothing and accessories she is costumed in right now.

Because, let's face it -- they aren't really going to give those clothes to charity. One does not give $2,500 designer suits to charity.

They are much better off selling them on eBay. Well, maybe there's a consignment store in Dallas willing to take them off their hands.

1 comment:

Commuter's Journal said...

I'm actually surprised that some enterprising young designer didn't step forward and donate suits to get her name in the press.

On the other hand, I think fashion designers have more sense than that.