Thursday, June 11, 2009

Another reason I like Obama

Today the president spoke at a town hall-style rally touting health care reform in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

The story about his writing a note to excuse a 10-year-old girl from class has been all over the news. Of course that's great copy, and the stories brought the moment to my attention.

But later when I watched the interchange, it reminded me of why I like him so much.

We all know that her father jokingly mentioned her absence of school, and that he was surprised when the president took him seriously. We also know that he did write the note. But this is why I like him so much: When he was finished with it, he folded it and walked off the stage to hand it to her. She scurried up to get it in that great fluid run that children have, but he met her halfway.

Another president would have joked about writing it, written it afterwards, or in the least have had a lackey run it to her. Not Barack. Maybe it's because he's a professor.

So maybe it's time we had a teacher in the White House.

Whatever it is, that moment separated it from a stunt and made it a natural action. Way to go, Barack. I can't wait to hear what the naysayers say about it.

No comments: