Friday, June 05, 2009

Thirteen years ago (part II)

Thirteen years ago at this time I was sitting in the nursery, rocking my baby. We had just brought her home a few hours before, and the cat was still getting used to having a baby in the house. My aunt was arriving in a day or two, but for now it was just the three of us.
I was in the rocker that my husband found and bought for me. Unhappy with the quality of the rockers in the pricey baby store where we loved to shop (where we were introduced to Britax car seats, and where we bought a fabulous stroller and the high chair that converted to a seat on the floor), he searched around Eugene for a better rocker. Finally he discovered, in a furniture store near the Springfield line, a rocker hand made in North Carolina, with ball bearings that give the smoothest rock ever.

So I sat in that baby's room, crooning lullabies, and trying to to let the gentle glide of the rocker lull me to sleep. I confess that more than once I found myself almost dropping the baby as I nodded off.
Eventually we discovered that the movement of the bassinette woke her up when we put her down, and i gave up and kept her in bed with us, a mesh rail to prevent her rolling out. She never came close.
But thirteen years ago tonight, I was blissfully ignorant of all those adjustments, and I just knew that I had a pretty perfect baby.

No comments: