Sunday, October 18, 2009

What a Week!

I have been busily sewing costumes for my children for the past three weeks, for a costume party last night.

Next time, I need two months' notice.

One went as the Meta Knight from the Kirby Nintendo game; the other as Princess Peach from Mario. I made the most complicated costume dress in the history of patterns, plus a cape with several panels and a standup collar, and a karate-type tunic. Of course all there patterns had to be altered. It's a good thing I can kind of do that.

The party itself was fun, as always. This year the host family dressed as characters from Alice In Wonderland, with the toddler as Alice instead of the blonde 10-year-old who, along with her 12-year-old brother, was a Joker without the cards.

We went as a Ghostbuster and a ghost (me). I wore the Martha Stewart yards of tulle "Glamorous Ghost" costume, except I put on scary makeup (I made my 9-year-old cry) and almost won the Scariest Costume contest. Unfortunately I tied with a 12-year-old and the 10-year-olds gave it to him so he "wouldn't have a temper tantrum." I didn't have one, so it was probably a good choice.

My older one did, though, because the Meta Knight costume was awesome and should have won for either best costume or most original. Instead, one person won three of the six categories...

In spite of that, the food and the company were great, and we even saw a little of "Rocky Horror Picture Show."
In past years they have run it through the whole party, but now there are so many toddlers that "Casper, The Friendly Ghost" ran for the first three hours of the party. Yes, the original series, not the movie. It is fun to see how priorities change when there is a baby in the mix.

Also this weekend, Purdue beat Ohio State!! #8 ranked Ohio State! and the Vikings won! A good weekend for football.

Nutcracker rehearsals are back on again, and once again wreaking havoc (although we don't mind!) with our schedule. It is such a great experience for the kids, and fun that #2 is in the same role as #1 was at the same level.

So it was quite a week. Now I just have to clean up the remains of the sewing tornado in the dining room so we can be civilized again.

No comments: