Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A nonsequiter

Sometimes something happens that catches me by surprise and causes me to exclaim out loud.

Yesterday was a cold, rainy day. At times the rain was so heavy that it was almost impossible to see the road when driving. Flood watch centers opened to monitor flood levels of the local rivers, and last night we had a rare thunderstorm. It was cool overnight, in the '40s, and this morning the chill in the air was pronounced with the lingering dampness.

I was driving my 4th grader to school this morning when I saw patches of snow along the side of the road. For a split second I thought nothing of it, then I exclaimed out loud. A few yards from the first one, another one, and then another. They all looked like the last, sad remnants of a snowy winter, those last stubborn, icy patches.

But this is November, and the snow levels were barely low enough to provide a dusting in the passes, much less near sea level. As I drove on, no more snow patches were evident, and I waited to catch sight of Mount Si, a small mountain not part of a range that looms over the Snoqualmie Valley. Even Mount Si (file image right) had no snow on it.

Where did that snow come from? I can only assume that a truck of some sort came out of one of the passes with snow on it, and lost it along that little stretch of highway. Or the snow fairy came and left it there to surprise people on their morning commute.

However it got there, it was a nonsequiter.

No comments: