Thursday, November 06, 2008

Freedom Restored

Earlier tonight, I accepted an offer to sign a congratulatory message to President-elect Obama from Washington State Democrats, and to contribute election day experiences.

As I recounted the excitement and energy in the air at both the primary caucus and on Tuesday at my polling place, I found myself looking at a photo on my desk. It is a picture of my daughters on a bench near the White House, taken on our Spring Break trip in 2007.

It reminded me of the video I have seen of the celebrations amid the fortress surrounding the White House, and I flashed a vision:

I saw the barriers and chain link and forbidding signs gone, and a long line of people waiting to enter the people's house. The White House is gleaming in the sunlight. The Obamas stand straight, tall, proud and welcoming as they greet people on Christmas Day.

Because even though the White House as the symbol of freedom and democracy is still a target, it belongs to us. We have elected a president who understands the freedoms we have lost, and that they need to be restored. He understands that this nation does not need a paranoid presidency, but a brave leader who by refusing to hide, faces down the enemy and inspires courage in the nation.

No comments: