Sunday, July 12, 2009

My Weakness: Elimination Musical Comedy Casting Reality Shows

Okay, kind of an awkward title.


But tonight as I sat watching the 2006 elimination show, "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?" with Andrew Lloyd Webber on a throne and a dozen actresses who have long since gone on to other things, and became obsessed with watching the final episodes, I realized: I watch these shows.


Of course I watch "Dancing With The Stars" and "Project Runway" (doesn't everyone?), but I generally avoid the rest of them. But then I got to thinking: I watched "Grease: You're The One That I Want" in the same format as the abovementioned show, when they were casting the latest production of "Grease!" for Broadway. (BTW they ended up with the wrong Danny, and the production itself was really glossy and artificial.)

I watched "Step It Up And Dance." (They got it right that time.)


And then I suffered through the series on MTV that cast the new Elle Woods in "Legally Blonde." (She is no longer in it.) (Oh. They cast the wrong person there, too.)


And I even watched the lame Nick Lachey-hosted (need I say more?) show on which they cast someone to sing the over-the-credits song at the end of "High School Musical 3." Of course, there was Kenny Ortega once or twice, which made it more tolerable. But the judges -- ech!


So I realized -- if someone is casting a musical, I'm there watching, desperately hoping that the judges actually know what they are doing.

So when the next one comes along, and the wrong person inevitably wins, I'll be watching, picking the right one.

No comments: