Sunday, September 28, 2008

Being Taken Seriously...

I know I've said this before, but I have to say it again.

I almost feel sorry for Sarah Palin.

I am sure that when she went into politics, she did it because she had values and a philosophy (and, in her case, also a theology) that she wanted to see in place in government. I can imagine that she saw running for vice president as the ideal opportunity to be a powerful voice in American politics.

Instead she has become somewhat of a laughing stock.

With Tina Fey's wickedly funny portrayal of her on SNL, the Republican's awkward handling of her introduction, and her own unpreparedness, it is going to get harder for her to be taken seriously.

And her campaign doesn't help. The carefully controlled, infrequent contact with the press, a decision of the McCain campaign, has even conservative pundits asking for more access, even accusing the campaign of being sexist by "protecting" her. There is chatter that, during her debate with Joe Biden on Thursday night, they might secrete an earpiece on her so that she can be fed information. Given her experience as a television sportscaster, there is just enough credence that it won't die.

I don't like Sarah Palin's stand on any issue. And I don't think (in spite of the campaign and the conservative pundit protests) that there is any sexism in her treatment by the press. She has already proven to be savvy enough to do all her official communication on non-government email addresses and phones. She serves up her backwoods talk, so folksy that the Iron Rangers in Minnesota probably roll their eyes, in a calculated way, designed to appeal to those good, middle-class folks who work so hard for a dollar. And she's apparently smart enough to avoid saying anything specific, instead delivering platitudes and stock Republican buzz words to energize the base. There is no doubt in my mind that she is a smart, savvy politician, whose goal is not to do what's right for the country, but to win.

Like I said, I almost feel sorry for her.

No comments: