Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dancing With the Stars Returns!

One of my favorite reality shows is "Dancing With The Stars." Each "season" is different, and it seems like the producers are still experimenting a bit with the format, but the core is the same.

I became a big fan of ballroom dancing in the 1990s when Juliette Prowse hosted the international ballroom championship broadcasts on PBS. (And I sheepishly confess I used to enjoy watching Bobby Burgess -- I ran into him once in the candy store on Main Street in Disneyland -- and his various partners on "The Lawrence Welk Show" on the Saturday nights I spent at my grandparents' house.) So when ABC announced a US version of Strictly Come Dancing, a huge hit in the UK, I was excited to think that finally there would be a reality show that I could let my children watch.



And so we did. (Our favorite the first season was John O'Hurley. The girls still get excited to see him on anything.)


While we will occasionally watch it live, we more often than not will TiVo and watch it later. This allows us to watch a 2 hour show in 45 minutes, especially as the numbers of competitors dwindles and they still have to fill the same amount of time. It is especially handy when Samantha starts asking questions in the down time between the judges' critiques and the announcement of the scores. (Really, she's the best they can do?) The dances themselves are only two minutes. So you can see my point.

I especially like that the judges are critical but not mean, and strive to be constructive. My favorite judge is Len, who was a Latin champion, and has is the only judge of the three who is a genuine ballroom dancer. The other two judges are both choreographers and dancers with different backgrounds, but they have both obviously worked to understand ballroom well enough to give at times excellent technical advice.

This season the runaway hit has to be 82-year-old Cloris Leachman. She makes me laugh out loud with her unrpredictable and outrageous behavior. Even Tom Bergeron, the unflappable host who is never at a loss for just the right thing to say, whether funny or serious, has been caught off guard by her. She actually dances fairly well for a woman who claims she never had dance training, and is more flexible than I am right now. I think she understands that she can bring fun and a little mayhem to the show and help it loosen up. However, I can't help wondering -- who in the world thought it was a good idea to cast her? (I love you, Cloris!)

And the most exciting addition this season is Lacey Schwimmer, partnering the charming Lance Bass. She brings her excitement and charisma from "So You Think You Can Dance." And while she does need to brush up a little more on ballroom, she and Lance have great chemistry and explode on the ballroom floor. Len might not think it's quite as ballroom as it should be, but there is no question that they are the most exciting couple in the competition.

But whoever wins that mirror ball trophy, I will be watching, and armchair critiquing, every week.

Be sure to check out Television Without Pity each week for their hilarious summaries.

No comments: